Monday 23 July 2012

EA Sports. It's in the game.

Ahh video games, technology that has definitely made my life more enjoyable. I've been playing video games since I was like six, and I'd very much like to document what's currently on my mind concerning them. I believe the very first type of game I played was that one that came in like key-chain kind of apparatus. It came in your basic racing or brick breaker game. Then came along the TV game (have no idea what the proper term for it is).

The TV game - enjoyed so many classics on this little device. Super Mario Brothers, Sonic the Hedgehog, Megaman, Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Excite Bike, Chip 'n Dale...yoh I could go on for days with this. And you could never go wrong with a cartridge - just a couple of blows underneath and into the TV game, and you were pretty  much sorted. There was no need for analog sticks, RT, LT etc. All you needed was the D-pad, your basic A-B button combination and you could pretty much tackle any game with that.

The Playstation (Particularly PSOne in my case) - now this system brought about huge differences and improvements to it. Like I mentioned earlier, it had analog sticks. The games I remember playing on this system didn't require the use of such sticks, and I was pretty happy about that, until I got the game Ape Escape. For some reason this game appealed to me - A LOT. I'd seen it in the first and last playstation magazine my parents bought me (which I had gotten thanks to some heavy crying). The analog sticks felt super awkward at first, but grew on me eventually. Of course Ape Escape was preceded by some greats such as Jonah Lomu rugby, X-men vs. Street Fighter, the FIFAs of the 90's and also followed by your Crash Bandicoots, Metal Gear Solids and many more. This is also the stage I learnt an interesting technique to play non-original games on the system, which involved a match stick and good timing. Might I add: if you didn't have a chip in your PS, late!!!

The Xbox 360s, PS3s, Wiis - this brought about some amazing games with deeper story lines, spectacular 3D graphics, more realistic AI and the media additions are pretty cool as well. The game I've playing a lot when I head home for holiday is FIFA. Honestly, you can never go wrong with a sports game. Especially when you're playing against others. Still need to get more games on this sytem, but this stuff can be pricey. Oh well....guess I'll wait for those specials during christmas time.

The PC - timeless. We've hardly ever had to spent money on acquiring games for this. Only requirement is basically ensuring that your PC is compatible with the minimum requirements, and going above this for nice-and-smooth playability. This is where I was introduced to gameboy games, Pokemon being the first one I played. Later on came other emulators to play the games I had always thought about and wanted to play so bad.

Awwww yeah, video games have done such wonders for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment